ESP Column Installation Instructions – General Guide
EPS columns should require no additional work when the correct fitting procedure is followed.
- Turn on the ignition – but do not start the vehicle
- Remove any fault codes using diagnostic equipment
There will always be a fault code when a unit has failed on the vehicle, if no fault code is detected the diagnostic equipment being used may not be suitable or may require a software update.
- Turn off the ignition – when the faults have been removed
- Disconnect the battery
The battery should be disconnected for a minimum of twenty minutes before reconnecting.
- Remove the failed EPS steering column
- Install the replacement steering column
This must not be done prior to clearing the fault code or the code will be mapped to the replacement unit invalidating the warranty.
- Centralising the steering rack prior to coupling it to the EPS column
All EPS columns supplied by our company are tested and set in the ‘0’ position.
- Reconnect the battery
As previously stated there should be a minimum period of twenty minutes between disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
- Checking correct functionality of the unit
No warning lights should be illuminated on the dashboard. If lights are illuminated the ECU will need to be checked using the diagnostic equipment.
- Check the performance and feel of your replacement EPS column